- 1 tbsp Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 lb Grass Fed Top round Roast or Steak cut in 3/4" pieces
- 3/4 cup Low sodium broth
- 2 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/3 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup white onion strips
- 4 Whole Grain Wheet Hamburger Buns Or fill Romain Boats!
- 8 Pieces of Romaine to fill if not using buns. Optional
- In a medium plastic bag, combine flour, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add beef and shake bag until beef is evenly coated. Refrigerate beef for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. When it's hot, lightly mist pan with spray, then add beef. Brown beef on all sides, about 1 minute per side, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add broth and liquid smoke. When liquid comes to a boil reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook beef, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until it's very tender. Drain any excess liquid from beef.
- Using a fork, separate pieces of beef until it is somewhat shredded then mix in barbecue sauce.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking the beef, lightly mist a small nonstick frying pan with spray and place it over medium heat.
- Add onion strips and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bun halves, inside down in a medium, nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Cook until just toasted, about 2 -4 minutes.
- Place ¼ of beef mixture onto each bun. Top with ¼ of onion strips. Other options: Open face, or fill Romaine boats.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 6g